Even though more and smarter smartphones are capable of shooting high-definition video clips today than ever before, most folks are finding out firsthand that phones aren’t the best tool to use to capture precious memories or to shoot commercial videos on.
Thankfully though, that doesn’t mean that you have to mortgage the farm to purchase a small camcorder set up. Better yet, you don’t even have the to worry about lugging around an over-sized video camera that’s going to make your shoulder sore and produce average quality videos at best.
No, all you have to do is purchase the pocket camcorder available on the market right now – something we are going to be able to help you with this quick guide.
Pocket camcorders advantages are:
• Incredibly inexpensive and easy to use
• Ridiculously convenient and only slightly larger than your comments smartphone
• Easy enough to operate that everyone in the entire family can get in on the filming action
… And that’s just the tip of the iceberg.
Let’s break down the mini camcorder options available!
These are the best small video cameras money can buy.
- The Ultimate Pocket Camcorder Buying Guide
- #1. – Kodak PlaySport (Zx5) HD Waterproof Pocket Video Camera
- #2. – Samsung W190 5.5MP HD Pocket Camcorder
- #3. – Coby SNAPP CAM4505 2-Inch TFT LCD Pocket Camcorder
- #4. – Veho VCC-003-MUVI-BLK MUVI Micro Action cam
- #5. – Creative Labs Vado HD 720p Pocket Video Camcorder
- #6. – YI 88001 16MP Action Camera with High-Resolution
- #7. – Samsung HMX-W200 Waterproof HD Recording
- #8. – Kodak Zi8 Pocket Video Camera
- #9. – Veho VCC-005 HD Mini Handsfree ActionCam
- #10. – Flip Video Ultra Series Camcorder
- #11. – Canon VIXIA Mini X
The Ultimate Pocket Camcorder Buying Guide
#1. – Kodak PlaySport (Zx5) HD Waterproof Pocket Video Camera
• Completely shockproof, dust-proof, and waterproof up to 10 ft, this camera can be used anywhere and in any conditions
• Built-in automatic “Share” button lets you send video clips effortlessly
• Of this compact miniature camcorder shoots in full high definition
• Kodak uses a proprietary charging cord that is expensive to replace if lost
• The system isn’t quite as flexible or adaptable as some of the other mini camcorders out there
• Because it’s so lightweight it can be challenging to stabilize this camera when shooting HD video
Kodak has always been famous for its highly rated photography equipment, and they knock it out of the park with this mini camcorder as well. You’ll find this camera to be really easy to use without compromising the quality of your video at all.
Kodak PlaySport (Zx5) HD Test Footage:
#2. – Samsung W190 5.5MP HD Pocket Camcorder
• This is one of the best small camcorders on the market today, with the legendary durability of Samsung behind it
• Designed to be used by action focused people, this camera is dust-proof, shockproof, and waterproof
• Onboard memory can be expanded with an additional mSD card for extra storage space
• A little bit pricey for what it brings to the table
• Not the most comfortable pocket camcorder to shoot with (especially for longer periods of time)
• The lens isn’t adjustable or replaceable
Samsung is famous for some of the best consumer electronics devices on the market, and this South Korean tech giant continues to smash it out of the park with their highly acclaimed mini camcorder.
Designed to work as an “action camera” – built and engineered to withstand way more than the “normal” abuse camcorders face – you’ll be able to rely on this camera for years to come.
#3. – Coby SNAPP CAM4505 2-Inch TFT LCD Pocket Camcorder
• Full LCD color display makes it easy to see what you’re shooting while you’re shooting it
• Full CMOS sensor brings in extra light for HD quality videos while shooting in low light situations
• Built-in memory can be expanded effortlessly with mSD cards
• Not a name brand and some are suspicious about the longevity or durability of the camera itself
• Can take a little bit of time to get used to using, especially with such a cramped control scheme on the back of the camera
• Proprietary software isn’t as easy to use as most would like it to be
One of the least expensive mini camcorders you’ll be able to purchase today, you don’t have to worry about every breaking the bank with this camera.
Capable of shooting in full 1080p HD video, you’ll be able to watch all of the clips you shoot on your TV thanks to the built-in HDMI output. Combine that with the effortless ability to move your favorite clips and videos to your computer for editing and you have something really special here!
#4. – Veho VCC-003-MUVI-BLK MUVI Micro Action cam
• Super slim mini camera gives you the chances to effortlessly capture HD video wherever you are without any trouble
• AVI capture format gives you the chance to edit, burn, or share your clips with ease
• Full HD resolution capture helps you to produce gorgeous video clips no matter the subject matter
• The onboard memory can only be expanded to 8GB with SSD technology
• No effortless way to transfer files from your camera to your computer
• The waterproof case doesn’t allow you to use this camera while submerged
Certainly, one of the better small video camera options you’ll come across today, this might not be a household name brand (yet), but the technology inside of it is really special. Sure, the onboard storage isn’t all that impressive – and you won’t be able to expand it all that much, either – but you’ll still be able to capture full HD videos in AVI formats for easy share-ability.
Veho VCC-003 Test Footage:
#5. – Creative Labs Vado HD 720p Pocket Video Camcorder
• Not only is the Creative Labs camera one of the top small video cameras, but the editing software (included) is top notch as well
• One touch recording capabilities allow you to effortlessly shoot HD video on the fly
• HDMI output gives you the chance to show off your video clips straight from your mini camcorder
• Not the cheapest camera you’ll come across today
• Swing arm USB connection can get loose after extended usage
• Some have called the HD video quality into question
Creative Labs is probably best known for the software they produce, but this is one of the best-designed pocket camcorders you’ll come across and a fine example of the polished engineering they are producing.
Compact, easy to use, and incredibly durable, it doesn’t get a whole lot better than this!
#6. – YI 88001 16MP Action Camera with High-Resolution
• One the of the cheapest mini camcorders you’ll find, this is a well-engineered piece of technology
• Takes advantage of full Sony CMOS sensor and lens technology
• Bluetooth connectivity allows people to pull their HD video off of their camera to their computers without any wires
• Not the most ergonomic of mini camcorders
• A little bit overpriced when compared to some of the other options available
• Well designed but can be difficult to use with one hand
A top contender for the title of “Best Pocket Camcorder” for sure, the use of Sony camera recording technology at this price point is more than enough of a reason to move forward with this option.
Combine that with the simple and straightforward design and long battery life and you have a winner here.
#7. – Samsung HMX-W200 Waterproof HD Recording
• Legendary Samsung durability makes this camera a smart investment
• Beautiful design and engineering makes it easy to use this pocket camera with one hand
• Full 2.3-inch color LCD screen lets you see your videos as you shoot them
• Can be a little bit pricey for what it brings to the table
• The lightweight construction makes this difficult to focus on a subject
• 1080p Full HD can be a little grainy in low light situations
Samsung is known for making high-quality products, and this camera is no exception, but you’re going to have to pay a premium to leverage all this great mini cam has to offer. The small form factor can be tough to stabilize, though, especially when you have the camera zoomed on action scenes.
Samsung HMX-W200 Test Footage:
#8. – Kodak Zi8 Pocket Video Camera
• Full 1080p HD capturing with a 16:9 aspect ratio
• Expandable storage (up to 32GB) lets you capture hours and hours of video
• 2.5 in LCD screen allows you to shoot your video with laser-like precision
• This is one of the most expensive cameras available on the market today, compact pocket video recorder or otherwise
• The glossy finish can be tough to hold on to when you are recording action shots
• Low light video capturing is not as crystal clear as most would like it to be
The Kodak Zi8 has to be considered one of the top 10 mini camcorder options you’ll find on the market today, if only because of the fact that it shoots full 1080p HD in 16:9 aspects. Combine that with the other high-end features, of course, and you have a game changer here.
#9. – Veho VCC-005 HD Mini Handsfree ActionCam
• This camera can capture video with ultra-widescreen angles
• 5MP HD video stills are captured alongside full 1080p HD video
• Uses a standard tripod mounting system for effortless stabilization and accessorizing
• There have been some concerns regarding low light video shoots with this camera
• Mounting bracket allows this camera to be mounted almost anywhere, but expensive accessories are usually required
• Onboard memory is not sufficient for longer video shoots
An action camera through and through, this is one of the most popular pocket camcorders money can buy for the adventure seeker. Everything about this camera has been designed to withstand most everything you can throw at it, and it even records full HD video underwater!
#10. – Flip Video Ultra Series Camcorder
• Maybe the easiest of all the pocket camcorders to use
• Getting your video clips off of this camera is effortless with the built-in USB plug
• Battery life is top notch
• These cameras aren’t being made anymore, so there’s no longer any customer support or warranty protection
• You’ll only be able to record about 60 minutes of video with this camera
• Built-in sharing technology can be a little slow, even over high-speed WiFi
Flip video cameras were absolutely red hot a few years ago, and you couldn’t go even a couple of days without seeing them in your local area or on TV – especially in the hands of superstar athletes recording their big games.
But the company is no longer in business, and that means there are no new Flip video cameras being made. You’ll have to buy yours now, and that could be big trouble.
#11. – Canon VIXIA Mini X
• Canon makes great DSLR cameras, and this pocket camcorder is also fantastic
• The 12.8 MP CMOS sensor is perfect for capturing video in lower light situations
• The fish-eye lens lets you capture real depth with this pocket video camera
• One of the best selling pocket camcorders available, it doesn’t feel quite as nice in the hand as most would like
• A little bit on the expensive side of things because of its shortcomings
• Switching video capturing modes isn’t as easy as most would like it to be
Canon produces some wonderful camera technology, and this pocket video camera is a great example of that. There are some shortcomings for sure, but at the end of the day this is still one of the most highly rated mini camcorder solutions money can buy right now!