If you’ve been hoping to capture the highest quality HD video with a “prosumer” level a video camera – a hybrid style video camera that combines the advanced technology of professional video cameras with the form factor and price tag of consumer level of equipment – you are going to want to pay close attention to all the insight information we are able to offer you below.
We’re going to break down all of the different options that you have available to pick and choose from these days in our quick guide, and we’re also going to touch upon all of the important features that you need to make sure your new video camera brings to the table!
To help you find the most suitable prosumer video kit available on the market , we put together this quick list of the best-selling equipment that you’ll want to review before you pull the trigger on your next purchase.
- #1. – Canon XA35 Professional Camcorder
- #2. – Canon XA20 Professional Camcorder
- #3. – Canon XF100 Professional Camcorder with 10x HD Video lens
- #4. – JVC GY-HM150U Compact Handheld Pro-HD Camcorder
- #5. – Canon XA10 Professional Camcorder with 64GB Internal Flash Memory
- #6. – Panasonic AG-AC90 AVCCAM Handheld Camcorder
- #7. – Sony Professional HVR-A1U CMOS High Definition Camcorder
#1. – Canon XA35 Professional Camcorder
• Canon quality in the photo and video capture industry is nothing short of exceptional
• Advanced HD CMOS image sensor provides improved lowlight video performance
• Camcorder shoots in full HD 1920 x 1080
• Built-in Wi-Fi technology struggles with large file transfers
All things considered, the odds are pretty good that you are going to face an uphill battle trying to find any better prosumer video camera option than this one.
Designed, developed, and engineered from the ground up to take in stunning high definition video in almost every lighting condition unimaginable, this is a beautifully imagined camera that can comfortably shoot family videos, action shots, and commercials all without missing a beat!
#2. – Canon XA20 Professional Camcorder
• Progressive HD capture of moving objects makes this the perfect camera for action filming
• Effortless design makes it really easy to stabilize this relatively lightweight camera
• New manual focus ring allows you to completely control your focus
• Even though the camera is lightweight, some buyers find it bulky and difficult to handle with one hand
• Canon HD CMOS sensor is still untested
• WiFi transfer technology could be better
Another very impressive option from Canon when it comes to prosumer level camcorders, you just can’t go wrong when you decide to purchase a piece of technology like this.
#3. – Canon XF100 Professional Camcorder with 10x HD Video lens
• You get everything you need to shoot stunning HD video and then edit it, too
• Conclusion of CompactFlash storage helps the capture of rich HD video
• Advanced color sampling technology provides clear HD video like you see on TV
• It would have been nice to see a longer warranty than just one year
• Professional codecs used in the HD video capture require expensive editing software
If you’re looking for one of the more affordable prosumer camera options available on the market today but do not want to compromise the quality of the video that you’re able to capture THIS is going to be right up your alley.
Lightweight, durable, and capable of capturing fast-paced action without any letdown and quality, you’ll be impressed by everything that this Canon camera brings to the table.
#4. – JVC GY-HM150U Compact Handheld Pro-HD Camcorder
• One of the most compact semi professional video camera options available on the market today
• Promises the fastest HD capture to editing workflow unimaginable
• Shoots in AVI format “right out of the box”
• Not nearly as feature-rich as some of the more expensive – and larger – video cameras out there
• AVI format can be a little sluggish depending upon the editing software you are using
• Seamless editing workflow requires Final Cut Pro or Premier to work
If you’re serious about making the very most of your video footage through the use of proper editing software you’re going to fall in love with this particular camera. Definitely one of the best semi professional video cameras money can buy right now, it also happens to be one of the easiest to use thanks to its speedy workflow when combined with top-tier editing software like Final Cut.
#5. – Canon XA10 Professional Camcorder with 64GB Internal Flash Memory
• A streamlined and slimmed down version of the professional level Canon cameras available
• Includes almost all of the advanced features of commercial Canon cameras in a compact form factor
• Dynamic Super Range produces stunning HD video without any tweaking of standard settings
• A little bit more expensive than comparable prosumer options
• 64 GB internal storage isn’t as large as most would expect
• HD CMOS sensor could be improved upon
Though not quite as feature-rich has some of the other professional grade consumer video cameras available on the market today, you’re still going to be able to get all the bells and whistles you need to produce top-quality video – and then edit it effortlessly – with the help of this special unit.
#6. – Panasonic AG-AC90 AVCCAM Handheld Camcorder
• The inclusion of three HD CMOS sensors improve lowlight capture of video significantly
• Double SD memory card slots improve video capture process
• Modular lens technology allows you to utilize the best glass for your video shooting needs
• Because of the unique form factor this can be a little bit difficult to stabilize
• Pricey compared to comparable options
• Not nearly as durable as some of the other prosumer level cameras
Panasonic continues to make high-quality consumer video cameras as well as top-tier professional cameras, and this is a perfect hybrid of the two different levels.
Lightweight but relatively stable, feature rich but not overly complex, and with some of the best sensors and optics in the business, you’ll really appreciate everything that this Panasonic has to feature.
#7. – Sony Professional HVR-A1U CMOS High Definition Camcorder
• One of the cheapest prosumer video camera options on the market
• Legendary Sony reputation for top-quality designed, technology, and durability
• Takes advantage of Carl Zeiss glass and Sony CMOS HD sensor technology
• None nearly as feature-rich as some of the other semiprofessional video cameras out there
• Will require additional accessories for those that want to shoot professional videos to be used in commercial settings
• Hand jitter and vibration module can sometimes overcompensate
Certainly one of the very best semi professional cameras you will have the chance to buy at a price point that seems almost too good to be true, though this Sony camera is a dream for those that don’t want to weigh themselves down with an over-sized and overly complex piece of technology.
Important features to look for in a Prosumer a level Video Camera
There are a handful of different options that you’re going to want to make sure that your new video camera includes to make it a worthwhile investment, and some of them are more important than others.
You’ll want to make sure that your new video camera is:
- Incredibly comfortable to use for longer amounts of time so that you can shoot hour after hour of HD video without any fatigue
- Perfectly engineered to utilize the most advanced video capture technology available on the market today so that your prosumer video camera is as “future proof” as possible
- As durable and as “life proof” as it can get, giving you the chance to capture high definition videos in any and every circumstance imaginable
… And that’s just the tip of the iceberg!
The best semi-professional video cameras available on the market today are also going to be easy to use, relatively compact but still capable of shooting stable HD video, and also make it really easy to pull your HD video off of your camera so that you can edit and share it without any extra effort whatsoever.